Wednesday, November 2, 2011

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

I’ve been following Maureen on Twitter for several months now and thought it was about time I read one of her books. 13 Little Blue Envelopes looked intriguing as a good place to start and I was dying for a travel story, so I decided to give it a try.

Summary: Ginny receives a mysterious package of 13 letters from her deceased Aunt Peg that send her on a great adventure all over the world making new friends, doing some crazy things, inevitably falling in love, and most of all discovering herself.

Reality Check: I wanted to love this book, and I did – for the first third. I was caught up in the excitement of the travel – which feels heavily researched so therefore very realistic – and adventure of it all, and I devoured every word.

And then the character got in the way. Maureen is amazing at story ideas and setting, but her characters leave much to be desired. Ginny was whiny and boring and flat and bland as flour. Where she should have been having an amazing adventure she was simply “doing” and not “experiencing,” going through the motions until halfway through she just gave up caring at all. I never felt like I got to know her – I have no idea what she is like normally. She was just a shell that we followed around to see the sights. Like a travel bus – it sees everything and shows you it all, but what does it care?

And the writing wasn’t quite there. It was third person but felt very first person, which resulted in constant sudden halts where I was yanked out of the story with strong reminders that it wasn’t in fact “I” but “She.” It was not a pleasant journey of a read.

Favorite Place: Harrods. How have I never heard of this place before? When I finally get to London, I know where I’m going.

Conclusion: It was a great premise and an exciting adventure, but there were too many things to continually ruin it for me. I made myself finish it just to finish it, but if it hadn't been a softcover I would’ve given up. I am still contemplating if I want to read the sequel, The Last Little Blue Envelope. Sequels usually revolve even more around the character, and that would be a nightmare for me. But it has been over five years – perhaps Maureen has gotten better? Who knows.

out of 4 Paws Up

Genre: Young Adult Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment