Saturday, May 28, 2011

Divergent by Veronica Roth

"There is one mirror in my house."

When I first heard about this book (many months before it came out), it was billed as another Hunger Games, which I love. So I was excited to get my hands on it. While it is not quite in the league of Hunger Games, it has the same feel, and was worth the read.

Summary: At 16, Beatrice chooses to leave her family faction Abnegation (the selfless) for the reckless Dauntless (the brave), in the painful decision of "faction before blood." As she battles through initiation, she must face her fears while trying to hide that she is Divergent, a person who can manipulate the test simulations. Can she keep her secret as the factions that keep the peace fall apart around her?

Reality Check: I could definitely tell it was a debut novel by a few ametuer moves the author made (that her agent & editors really should have caught).

Description was the book's biggest flaw. I could never get a clear picture about anything - the landscape, character movement, action. Whenever the image tried to form in my head, it was blurred with confusion and I never quite got a handle on it before having to move on. And at times, it felt like the author didn't do her homework on simple things - they were vague and "left to the reader's imagination," which in my opinion didn't have enough to imagine with.

But overall it was a good story that kept me reading almost nonstop right to the end, and a good story is the most important thing. Characters are next, and Tris was a strong female lead who took care of herself, which is a rare thing indeed - most enjoyable. Her male interest was supportive, not overly protective to a "damsel in distress" (which she definitely was not), and was flawed and interesting instead of "practically perfect in every way" like most love interests are right now.

Conclusion: The book wrapped up enough at the end that I wasn't sure if there would be a sequel (even though I heard it was supposed to be a trilogy). I have since confirmed that there will be more, so I will definitely be picking them up. Anyone who liked the Hunger Games trilogy or dystopian thrillers should give this book a read.

"I suppose that now, I must become more than either."

Genre: Young Adult Dystopian

 out of 4 Paws Up

No comments:

Post a Comment