Sunday, September 11, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

"Felicia Miller was crying in the bathroom. Again."

I wanted to read this ages ago but forgot until I rediscovered it at the library. First book I've finished in a while.

Summary: After yet another spell goes horribly awry, Sophie is sent to Hecate Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium - witches, faeries, shapeshifters, and the odd creature of the night. There she befriends a vampire, makes three powerful enemies, contracts a futile crush on the school hottie, and has to figure out who is trying to kill off her classmates.

Reality Check: Considering I have been struggling to finish novels lately, I breezed through this one with only a few minor stutters. There is nothing really new or different about the story, characters, or even the powers system, but it's well written and a nice read.

Random Note: Rachel gets away with little to no description of the magic or school classes. While this can make it feel a little malnourished, at the same time I didn't feel particularly cheated. And I think I only noticed because I'm struggling with this problem in my own writing at the moment. Otherwise, I probably would never have noticed.

Pet Peeve: There is a cat on the cover. A black cat. I RECALL NO CAT IN THE BOOK, black or otherwise. Whoever put that cat on the cover and got my hopes up should perish, preferably at the paws of Cat Kirk. If there is one thing I really like about witches, it's the whole "cat familiar" thing. Cover Designer: YOU LET ME DOWN.

Conclusion: A nice, easy read. Already have the second book, Demon Glass, next on my reading list.

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal

 out of 4 Paws Up

No comments:

Post a Comment