Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

"Oh, bleep. I was going to die."

Paranormalcy, the first book in the series, was original and fun, so I was excited to pick up the second one.

Summary: Evie finally has the normal life she's always wanted. She's attending high school (which houses her very own locker), dating her spectacular boyfriend Lend (although away at college most of the time), and even holding down a part-time job at the [greasy] diner she lives over (with a vampire).

The only problem: normal life is kind of boring.

Enter Raquel, offering a freelance job back with IPCA, the life of excitement and danger without the whole "prisoner" angle (and unfortunately without the unlimited credit).  But it's not all that she remembers as things go wrong left and right, and with the lies to her boyfriend piling up and an annoying yet gifted boy popping in via fairy doors to whisk her away to spectacular places, it's not easy balancing both worlds. And then of course there's her fairy ex-boyfriend Reth, always appearing to remind her of what she is - and what she is supposed to be. As the mystery that is Evie begins to unravel, she must discover what she truly wants. And where she truly belongs.

Reality Check: Very well written, as can always be expected from Kiersten. Evie is a great character...or was, to a point. As much as it pains me to say (and it hurts, it really hurts), I wasn't too impressed with Supernaturally. Evie was just too whiny and "woe is me" for my tastes, and even with her inevitable self-discovery I didn't feel the resolution. Where Paranormalcy shone for its unique take and voice in the paranormal genre, Supernaturally was simply about Evie's desperation to be normal - and when she couldn't be, it broke her.

The actual plot was weak and there wasn't much too it. More like necessary revelations before the finale, not a stand-alone book with its own full story arc. It was basically bits of shocking info thrown in here and there - and they were more strangely random than shocking. The "new love interest" was anything but, and Evie's devotion (read: obsession) with her boyfriend never let up. Overall I had several problem points that almost caused me to put the book down, and it was only my love for Paranormalcy that kept me reading.

Conclusion: After saying all that, I adore Kiersten and it wasn't as bad as I make it sound. I think I was just so dazzled by Paranormalcy that Supernaturally was a letdown. Perhaps Book 3 will be better? I'll read it, but I'm not holding my breath for anything spectacular.

out of 4 Paws Up (only because I adore Kiersten)

Genre: Young Adult Paranormal [Romance]

1 comment:

  1. Finally, someone who felt the same way I did! I adored Paranormalcy, but I kinda felt like Evie turned into Bella Swan in Supernaturally. She was soooo whiny and would not stop freaking out about Lend. And Jack was just annoying. I wanted to put it down too, but I loved Paranormalcy too much to give up on it. Here's hoping Endlessly is better (or is that a clue as to how Evie whines in the third book?)!

    ReplyDelete