Saturday, June 18, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

"Here is everything I know about France: Madeline and Amélie and Moulin Rouge."

After my hundredth paranormal book, I was ready to scream. Wasn't there anything fluffy to be had without a supernatural angle or heavy theme (that didn't involve mean, popular girls)? And then I stumbled upon Anna and the French Kiss, pure fluff for the sake of fluff without nasties or shapeshifters or adult content. I was saved! The week I had to wait to get my hands on it was torture. But it was worth it.

Summary: Anna's newly rich father takes her from her average life, friends, and potential boyfriend and ships her off to a French American boarding school for her senior year (because that's what rich people do). She ends up making nice friends, discovering France, and falling in love with the hottest guy near her. What else?

Reality Check: Lots of fun and a very light read - just what I ordered! Even when they were dealing with relationship and father issues, it didn't feel heavy. The characters are engaging and flawed just right - St. Clair, the love interest, could be said to be a little too flawed, but his fear of heights made him even more loveable. It is very well written, and even though there wasn't much more to the story then a normal girl falling in love with France and a boy, it kept me reading right to the end.

My only problem: A few chapters didn't transition well. We would skip over a few days and start back up in the middle of a scene, and it took a few pages to get back into the rhythm. But it was only a momentary annoyance.

Romance Rating: some innuendo and sensuality

Conclusion: An excellent read about how much work relationships take - and just how worth it the work is. I intend to buy the paperback (which releases in August) and re-read it many times when I need a fluff fix (which is every few months). Thank you Stephanie!

And I will be picking up anything else Stephanie has to offer. (Can't wait for Lola!)

"And we're finally home."

Genre: Young Adult Travel Romance

 out of 4 Paws Up!

1 comment:

  1. This book really hit a chord with so many people! There was huge buzz surrounding it, and YA authors themselves were promoting it. It is one of those genuinely comforting, romantic YA books; kind of a rare breed these days. I really enjoyed it myself and am looking forward to 'Lola and the Boy Next Door'.

    ReplyDelete