Sunday, June 5, 2011

Tron Legacy Soundtrack by Daft Punk

It is rare now that I like the soundtrack more than the movie, probably because after so many scores they all begin to sound alike. But when Tron Legacy (okay for a movie) ended, I knew I had to get my hands on the soundtrack. And then I found out it was by Daft Punk. Now it was essential. When the black disc was finally in my possession, I sat down in front of my stereo with my eyes closed to listen to it (well, with a magazine handy).

Summary: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack to Disney's Tron Legacy by Daft Punk.

Reality Check: Nothing special without the "electronic minimalism," just like the movie was nothing without the lights. Any song that didn't have electro additions proved pretty boring (magazine-flipping time). The whole disc was a rollercoaster of likes and dislikes for me. It began slow (tracks 1-2), picked up (3-6), lost me (7-11), picked up again (12-14), wasn't as good (15-20), and had a strong ending (21) if you ignore the last song (22 = yawn). But the soundtrack pretty much kept my attention, and I think I only skipped through one song (although the magazine really helped).

Update: After listening to it again, I discovered the songs I wasn't impressed with before weren't as bad the second time around. That's what I get for listening to it half asleep the first time. =)

Conclusion: For a band's first try at a soundtrack, it was pretty good. Overall, not a bad score. I'll definitely listen to my favorite tracks over and over again. And if Daft Punk does any more soundtracks, I'll be listening.

Genre: "Classic Orchestral Themes with an Electronic Minimalism" Movie Soundtrack

 out of 4 Paws Up

No comments:

Post a Comment